
I arrived yesterday. Not too many flight delays. On the flight there, I was in a cargo seat in a ski-equipped LC-130 Hercules. Didn't feel nearly as cold as I thought it would. -41C/-42F ambient, not much wind. Today is warmer, but windier so -38C/-36F ambient but -57C/-70F with wind chill.
So far no altitude troubles. actual elevation 9310’, but the lower barometric pressure at the poles makes it feel physiologically like to 10,500’.
We are on the polar plateau, ice 2 miles thick. Nothing much to see except flat white. The sun is going around in the sky and doesn’t set.
OH! I saw a penguin yesterday, my first one. I figured I wouldn’t get to see any because there are none in the interior, but there happened to be a lone emperor out near the ice runway as we were leaving McMurdo.
No comments:
Post a Comment