
One of our jobs at the BFC is to maintain the “apple” warming huts along the Castle Rock 12-mile hiking loop. So we got to drive out in a Pisten Bully (track vehicle) and shovel the snow.

Saw the sun for the first time since arriving here. we've had daylight, but because McMurdo is in a bowl, the sun was not high enough in the sky to peek over the hills.
Towards the end of the loop, we came across a small green building. I desperately had to pee and it looked like a possible outhouse. The door was blocked by snow, so I shoveled it away.

After working up a sweat, I got the door open only to discover the whole structure was filled with snow. Had to go to the “pee flag” instead, an area designated as a urine spot so we don’t make yellow spots all around the ice & snow. That was my first day having to drop my trousers (3 layers) out in the middle of a big white expanse with no shelter. Cold bum. I must get a funnel.
No comments:
Post a Comment